Pregnancy and Postnatal Services in Norwich
DabbourPhysio offers a wide range of antenatal and postnatal women’s health services to our patients both before and after their pregnancy. This includes our Comprehensive Antenatal Course / Hypnobirthing and Pregnancy classes for before giving birth, and afterwards our very popular Healthy Mummy Assessment check-up.
The Postnatal Yoga/Pilates class takes place on Tuesdays at 16.30-17.30 in Norwich city centre.
The Pregnancy Yoga/Pilates class takes place on Tuesdays at 18.00-19.00 in Norwich city centre.
We can also offer Women’s Health Physiotherapy for any antenatal and postnatal issues as well as expert advice to help you return to fitness, health and high level activity following the birth of your baby.
Healthy Mummy Assessment
The Healthy Mummy Assessment is a postnatal check-up that can help reduce your risk of having physical health problems later in life as a result of giving birth.
Approximately one in three women will have some form of pelvic dysfunction during their lifetime and these are especially common after childbirth. The Healthy Mummy Assessment can be helpful both in the case of straightforward and complex deliveries as in either situation the muscles of the core and of your pelvic floor are likely to be weakened.
The Healthy Mummy Assessment helps you understand how giving birth has affected your body and how you can return to fitness and full health as quickly as possible as it is often advantageous to start working with this sooner than later. This specialised check can help to avoid problems with:
- Pelvic Girdle Back Pain and other back pain
- Weakness of the pelvic floor
- Pain related to C-sections and tears
- Postnatal spinal problems
- Return to exercise and normal activity
- Weak abdominal and pelvic floor muscles
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Pelvic pain (vulvodynia, endometriosis, dysmenorrhoea, dyspareunia)
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
The assessment is a one-hour postnatal appointment which takes place at our Norwich city centre clinic. The Healthy Mummy Assesment includes a check-up by a specialist Women’s Health Physiotherapist, advice on being a healthy mummy as well as exercises specifically tailored for you and your weaknesses. The assessment is suitable for all mothers at all stages postnatally and is aimed to help you take care of your body now and in the future. You are also free to bring your child with you to the appointment to help with childcare arrangements.
Hypnobirthing Classes in Norwich
Our Comprehensive Antenatal Course or Hypnobirthing workshop in Norwich is designed as an evidence-led but informal class that teaches you and your partner about the physical and emotional aspects of birth. The class will help you both learn and understand how and why your bodies as well as your minds react during birth.
Typical things that are taught in our hypnobirthing class:
- Breathing and relaxation techniques that are effective during birth.
- Positions for labour and birth.
- How to be confident and informed when dealing with medical staff – when to question, what to ask and when it’s time to listen.
- How to reduce your risk of needing an episiotomy during birth by learning a simple massage technique.
- How to release any fears you might have about childbirth.
- Simple techniques to help before and during labour.
- Most importantly; how to relax, stay calm and in control during the birth.
You will also receive:
- A textbook on hypnobirthing.
- A series of handouts and a relaxation CD.
- Physiotherapy advice, including a booklet with postnatal care information.
- A 1 hour 1-2-1 post-birth follow-up consultation with a Woman’s Health Physiotherapist.
The techniques that you learn in our classes will help you to stay relaxed, calm and in control when your baby is arriving and you can use them again with future births. The techniques work regardless of type of birth; be it a home, water, hospital birth or in a birthing unit. You can also use the techniques to help calm and relax yourself any time you feel stressed out.
The course will also discuss the latest research and risk factors with assisted delivery (suction, forceps, c-section), pain-relief and good birthing position(s) from a Women’s Health Physiotherapy perspective. It will also take up and discuss a few research papers with you which you might find useful when talking to doctors and nurses or midwives.
Each course, with 3-5 couples in attendance, takes place over two days on a weekend. The dates and locations are confirmed on an ad-hoc basis as couples sign up so please get in touch for the next available workshop.
If required, our hypnobirthing course can also be offered on an individual basis, with either one or two couples. This would take place in the convenience of your home and with greater flexibility regarding dates and time.